The Doomsday Book.
Since before the Doomsday Book the spiritual needs of Childwall were met by All Saints but in 1930 the land to build a Church and Vicarage was donated by Lord Salisbury. The consecration of the church took place on the 9th March 1940. St. David was the first Church in the Diocese to be completed during the 2nd World War.
Centuries of History.
The history of St. David’s goes back further than 1930. Its roots are in the Gladstone Mission Hall of the 19th century. This was first founded as a school by the Gladstone family, who had property not far away. St David’s also has links to St. Stephen’s Church, Byrom Street, which was sold off in 1937, the money from the sale going part way to the cost of the new building. St. Stephen’s started life in 1722 as a Baptist Chapel! Today, St David’s has a chapel dedicated to St. Stephen.
The 20th and 21st Century.
St. David’s has now spanned the epoch of two centuries as we ushered out the 20th Century and welcomed in the 21st Century,
With many changes in social and personal history over this time St David’s is a very welcoming Church with activities, for all age groups. Activities have included and continue to include many of the following; an active choir, Mothers Union and Guild of St. Raphael, Sunday School, Youth Group, House Groups, Men’s Group, Parents and Toddlers Group and even a Rambling Group. There are also many other recreational activities hosted in the Gladstone Hall.
St David’s is modern in its outlook, but rooted as a traditional church community.
Please look through what we have to offer and feel free to either visit in person or contact us through this website.
We shall look forward to you visiting us.